Buhari’s snub of NASS questions our existence – Rep member

The member representing Ahoada-East/Abua/Odual Federal Constituency, Rivers State, Solomon Bob on Thursday described the snubbing of the Joint Session of the National Assembly by President Muhamadu Buhari as of a clear case questioning the existence of the legislature.

Mr. Bob raised a point of order on privilege, demanding answers from the Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila on why the President who was scheduled to appear before the joint session of the House did not honour the invitation.

It would be recalled that the President, following a motion of the House was invited to appear before the Joint session of the National Assembly.

DAILY POST reported that the President will honour the invitation.

However, the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami on Wednesday in a press statement said the House had no right to summon the President.

Mr Bob, citing order 8, rule 6, said the privilege of the House has been breached, adding that President Buhari flagrantly disregarded the resolution of the House.

READ ALSO  Ghana: Ensure peaceful election – Obasanjo begs NPP, NDC

He said: “Last week we passed a resolution, bordering on security. I read in the newspaper that the president agreed to come. However, the events following the resolution has shown that the resolution has been flagrantly disregarded. If this House should pass a resolution, and it is disregarded, then it questions our existence here. Our very existence here is being questioned.

“The Speaker should address us. Maybe there has been a back channel, we need to know. Nigerians are watching, the world is watching, watching what we will do. This action is capable of showing that the House is of no significance.”

Ruling on the point of order, the Speaker said his motion has been noted, adding that the House is “waiting for official communication from the President.”

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Man United vs Man City: Guardiola confirms player removed from starting EPL derby

Thu Dec 10 , 2020
Post Views: 43 Manchester City boss, Pep Guardiola, has confirmed that striker, Sergio Aguero, will not start Saturday’s Premier League derby against Manchester United at Old Trafford. Guardiola said this following Man City’s UEFA Champions League 3-0 victory against Marseille on Wednesday night. Aguero scored for Man City against Marseille […]
RSS
Follow by Email